An important part of this project is an evaluation of how well the project worked/works. This page provides an overview of the evaluation process, as well as a place to link to other documentation for that process.
Marge presented an overview of the evaluation process at the weekly Technical Telecon on 3 Sept 2008 (minutes here
), and later circulated a document "Evaluation Plan with Elements of Research Design
". This page is a summary of the process as well as a place to develop details.
There are two key goals of the evaluation:
- assess the impact of e-Labs on students
- assess associated professional development of teachers
In addition, an expected result of the evaluation will be
- to determine why e-Labs can an could be used broadly -- what works, with whom, and under what circumstances.
There are two key phases for each e-Lab, and each has a separate evaluation plan:
- I. Product Development
- II. Implementation and Testing
The Cosmics e-Lab is mature enough that is is in the second phase, while the CMS and LIGO e-Labs are stil in the first phase.
This initial stage consists of:
- Think-aloud protocol applied to the e-Lab product
- Expert review (and revisions based on that review)
- Classrom beta testing ( pre-test/post-test/rubricks)
The LIGO and CMS e-Labs are in this stage.
Implementation and Testing
This stage consists of evaluation of
- Learner Objective achievements
- Workshops and support for teachers
- Online Community
-- Main.EricMyers - 26 Sep 2008
* Summary of evaluaion process: